The Student News Site of Royal Oak High School

Acorn Newsmagazine

Acorn Newsmagazine

Acorn Newsmagazine

Stanley Cup Craze

How the Stanley Cups become a modern trend despite their century-long existence 

Over the past year, another trend has stormed over social media platforms. In 2019, it was the Hydro

Photo by Sidney Kapelanski

Flasks. Now, Stanley Cup tumblers have become one of the most popular products. This craze has spread through TikTok under #Stanley Cup. Influencers will show off their collection, bringing crowds into stores to buy another cup in another color. Although it seems like this famous water bottle is something recently released, it is over one hundred years old. It wasn’t until a few years ago that these water bottles gained more popularity than their creator, William Stanley, intended them to have.

This cup is not the trophy in hockey. It is a water bottle tumbler that comes in various colors and sizes. They are priced reasonably and mostly come in sizes that make them functional to carry around during the day.

“They are very nice, but having to fit that big of a water bottle into your car cup holder is a hassle,” said senior Bryanna Voss.

This bottle has gained much popularity over the years. As it was primarily marketed as a good quality water bottle, it was also advertised for uses such as hiking or camping. But the brand began to be advertised all over, and soon the bottles were not being used for functional use but being added into collections. They have now even become a comfort item for people.

Voss says, “They do serve their purpose, but there’s nothing special about them.”

Due to their popularity, when a new release comes out in stores, many people get excited about the latest editions, and they sell out quickly. Because of this mass consumerism, these water bottles have become the number one water bottle in America. Though there are plenty of other water bottles out there. Remember the Hydro Flask?