The Student News Site of Royal Oak High School

Acorn Newsmagazine

Acorn Newsmagazine

Acorn Newsmagazine

The Gaza Conflict

A brief history on Israel and Palestine

On May 14th, 1948, Israel was formed in the region formerly known as Palestine in the Middle East.. After the long and horrific events of the Holocaust, the Jewish population seemed like they finally found a place to rest.

While the United States of America formally recognized the state of Israel, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Iraq, and Syria, attacked Israel in protest of the newly formed state on May 14th, 1948, sparking the first Arab-Israeli war. Ever since then, Israel has had the powers of the modernized west backing its power and legitimacy, as well as the military defense a country like Israel would require. For some, this war never ended.

On October 7th, 2023, Hamas, a Palestinian militarist faction, attacked Israel on the day of an important Jewish holiday “Sukkot.” Hamas justified the attack as retaliation for the blockade of the Gaza Strip. Israel said they put up the blockade to “combat Hamas”. Israeli government spokesman Eylon Levy says that Hamas took around 240 Israeli hostages, while Israel has taken nearly 8,300 Palestinian prisoners.

How does America fit into all of this? Ever since May 14th, 1948, the United States has had a strong alliance and partnership with Israel, sending 106 billion dollars in aid to Israel over the course of  its relationship. However, it’s not just the American Government involved with these foreign affairs. General Dynamics, a global Aerospace and Defense Corporation, responsible for being the fifth largest defense contractor in the world, is also the fifth largest in the United States. General Dynamics competes with Lockheed Martin, Boeing, General Electric, Northrop Grumman, among others.

Defense corporations, also known as defense contractors, are private companies that primarily engage in the production, development, and sale of military-related goods and services to governments and military agencies. These corporations operate in a highly specialized and regulated sector, often dealing with advanced technologies and equipment used for military purposes. These corporations often play a significant role in the economy, providing employment opportunities and contributing to technological advancements to the militaries that employ their services.

It’s important to note that discussions about defense corporations can spark debates about the influence of the military-industrial complex on government policies, budget allocations for defense, and concerns about over-reliance on the defense industry. Views on these matters can vary widely and may differ based on political, ethical, and economic perspectives.

As of December 8th, 2023, the United Nations voted 13 in favor of a cease fire, with one abstaining, and the United States using security council power to veto the resolution. And as time continues on, at least 17,700 Palestinians and 1,147 Israelis have been killed since the Hamas attacks on October 7th.

In the words of General Dynamics CFO, Jason Aiken,“We’re working ahead of schedule to accelerate that production capacity up to 85,000, even as high as 100,000 rounds per month, and I think the Israel situation is only going to put upward pressure on that demand, so that’s the biggest stick-out that I can see.”

As of December 18th, 2023, The Israeli Military has shot and killed 3 surrendering Israeli hostages. According to the Israel army chief, Lt. Col. Herzi Halevi, the hostages “did everything possible” to show that they were not a threat to the IDF soldiers. Despite the efforts, the 3 hostages were killed by the forces meant to rescue them. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, released a statement saying that upon hearing this news it has “broke my heart, broke the entire nation’s heart,”.

As of January 7th, 2024, The Gaza Health Ministry said Sunday that nearly 23,000 people have been killed amid Israel’s war on Hamas and nearly 2 million people have been displaced amid the war since October 7th, 2023.