The Student News Site of Royal Oak High School

Acorn Newsmagazine

Acorn Newsmagazine

Acorn Newsmagazine

Kickin’ It Into Gear

The Unified soccer team joins a new league
The Unified soccer team gathers after a hard earned win against Northville High School. Photo contributed by Julie Zapoluch

This season, the Royal Oak Unified Soccer Team will join the The Kensington Lakes Athletic Association League (KLAA) due to the lack of teams in the Oakland Athletic Association (OAA). The Unified team will now have the ability to play many more teams this year in the Kensington area, which will provide them with a full schedule.
With the Unified team joining the KLAA League this season, many players are eager about the increased opportunities.
“It gives us more experience and exposure, so we get to see more teams than the four we played last year. I think it will also make more people aware of Unified Sports,” said returning player Megan Haun.
Many players agree with Haun.
“It makes me feel jolly,” said Autumn Norman.
New team player Casey Hunter said he was excited about “shooting on net.”
Coach Elizabeth Reynolds is just as upbeat about the new opportunities for the team.
“Our players are very excited about being able to compete in a standard league format. I’ve already seen students express a more competitive drive and desire to improve their skills to be better prepared for opponents. It’s a great thing for the team,” said Reynolds.
Unified is more ready than ever to take on this new challenge as they constantly describe this year’s team with encouraging words.
“The biggest thing is just the love. Even through frustrating or challenging moments or things that would be learning curves in other organizations that you could be a part of, the love we all have for each other and the joy we all have being here sets it apart,” said player Gracie Ronan.
Unified teammate Devin Burton agreed.
“The team is our family and it’s so cool that we get to share Unified. That’s our family,” he said.
It’s very clear that the team has a very positive outlook about the season and each other, and will continue to hold that attitude throughout the season.
“A lot will change,” said Burton. “The games, the way we train… I think that’s all going to change.”
Many players have taken Burton’s outlook to heart, especially Amy Clegg.
“I like being part of a team, and how I get to kick the ball in the goal,” she said.
The Unified team has much ahead of them, and the new league will give them a great opportunity to truly show the kind of a team they are.
“All that matters is, even though things are changing, always have fun,” said Burton.