The Student News Site of Royal Oak High School

Acorn Newsmagazine

Acorn Newsmagazine

Acorn Newsmagazine

Student council focuses on leadership and teambuilding in annual retreat

Student council retreat is a long-time tradition at ROHS, and it’s definitely for good reason. The top 50 student council members who maintain the most volunteer hours for student council events earn a spot for the 3 day weekend retreat, which is held at Camp Skyline in Almont, Michigan in early November.

The retreat weekend is jam-packed with events geared toward team building, leadership skills, and self-reflection, with an overall focus on building culture and community, and forging connections.

“Retreat really builds connections with everyone,” said sophomore Mia Waterstredt. “There are people I never would’ve talked to or gotten close with if it wasn’t for retreat.” 

Class of 2024 president Sam Klonke appreciated the opportunity to get to know fellow ROHS student leaders.

“There are 75 to 100 people in the council,” said Klonke. “Before going to retreat, I knew some people, but I also didn’t know them that well. And I think the retreat got everyone to meet each other on a better level and connect. And now, going to student council, I see faces that I know and that I’ve met, and that I’ve talked to on a different level.”

Retreat is dedicated to forming new relationships and building a supportive culture, in the hope that council members will transfer the positive spirit to the larger student body at ROHS. 

While friendship is an important part of the weekend, individual reflection is a key focus as well. 

Junior Dakota Kelly explained why it’s important to have internal reflection as a part of retreat. 

“It allows everyone to become more bonded and work together better. Everyone kind of knows everyone’s strengths and weaknesses and how they can work together,” he said.

Freshman Alex Pullen explained that StuCo benefits from being together in close quarters for a weekend.

“It gets us connected so that we can work better together and we learn a lot about ourselves and how we work as leaders, which can be very helpful,” she said.

Self-reflection is a key aspect of the weekend because it helps members to reach clarity on what they can improve and what strengths they demonstrate as leaders,  which will ultimately help the council to run more smoothly. 

Those interviewed each shared a one word assessment of their retreat experience.

Senor Sam Klonke said, “Family”

Junior Dakota Kelly said, “Refreshing”

Sophomore Mia Waterstredt said, “Uplifting” 

Freshman Alex Pullen said, “Community” 

Retreat weekend is not only a getaway for self-discovery and a foundation for building relationships, but also a valued and inspiring tradition for council members, who plan to use their retreat experience to build a strong and supportive culture at ROHS.