The Student News Site of Royal Oak High School

Acorn Newsmagazine

Acorn Newsmagazine

Acorn Newsmagazine

Who are the Kids Diggin’ These Days?

Acorn’s picks for favorite celebrities

Pedro Pascal
Most widely known for his role as the Mandalorian in the Disney Plus series by the same name, Pascal has now taken on the emotional role of Joel in HBO Max’s adaptation of the video game “The Last of Us,” which pairs well with his more serious roles like Javier Peña in “Narcos.” Pascal recently hosted SNL and is making the rounds on various late night talk shows.

Jenna Ortega
Jenna Ortega plays Wednesday Addams in the Netflix series “Wednesday,” which reached 5.3 billion views from November 28th to December 4th according to Deadline. Ortega became an instant heartthrob, in large measure due to her goth look, which was a dramatic shift from her previous roles on Disney Channel and the HBO Max movie “The Fallout.” “Wednesday” the series has been reportedly renewed for a second season, leaving fans with baited breath and speculating what will happen next.

Taylor Swift
Taylor Swift has dominated the music industry for the past seventeen years, winning 40 awards throughout her career. Swift recently released her tenth studio album “Midnights,” which broke Billboard music charts history by holding all ten of the top ten spots for multiple days. Swift recently earned a Grammy for the 10 minute version of the “All Too Well” music video, and is slowly starting to rehearse for The Eras Tour, her first since Loverfest in 2019, which was canceled due to COVID.

Zendaya
Since her days on the hit Disney Channel hit “Shake It Up,” Zendaya has always been a fan favorite. She has most recently starred in the popular Tom Holland Spider-Man trilogy, HBO Max’s “Euphoria” series, and Dennis Villenueve’s “Dune,” with the sequel reportedly coming out in 2023. Zendaya was named one of the 100 top most influential people of 2022 by TIME, and is starring in a third season of “Euphoria,” set to release in either 2023/24.

Timothée Chalamet
The 21st century heartthrob, Chalamet has been in hit movie after hit movie since his performance in the 2017 film “Lady Bird.” His most anticipated projects of 2023 are “Dune: Part Two” and “Wonka,” where he plays a young Willy Wonka on his quest to find the world’s best candy. This fashion legend was also a co-chair for the Met Gala in 2021, and has attended every year since.

Honorable Mentions-

Dylan O’Brien, Margot Robbie, Florence Pugh, Sadie Sink, SZA, and Drew Afualo