The Student News Site of Royal Oak High School

Acorn Newsmagazine

Acorn Newsmagazine

Acorn Newsmagazine

Safety Standards at ROHS

New school changes, what they mean, and why they’re here
ROHS SafeEd staff includes (from left to right): Rick Floyd, Evette Robinson, Paul Harris, and Bill Willhite. Photo by XuXia Hopkins

The average amount of time a person spends at a

K-12 school is approximately 2,340 days. Safety in schools has always been a top priority for school staff and administrators but has intensified even more so in recent years. Schools, including ROHS, are constantly changing and adapting to the times. While changes aren’t always formally announced, that doesn’t make them any less important.

There are several changes at ROHS this year, not only regarding safety but also general building changes. For starters, most doors to the school now open at 7:40 instead of 7:30 a.m. The cafeteria doors open at 7:00 a.m., and students who wish to work in the Learning Commons can access that space earlier than 7:30 if needed. However, staff supervision is essential, and in order to safely staff the school entrances at early hours, the number of entrances open to students will be limited.

Another important change is the addition of cameras. While ROHS already has a lot of cameras, more are needed.

“Multiple cameras are being added to different areas, all over,” said Paul Harris of SafeEd.
Furthermore, those who need to enter the school, other than students and staff, will need an appointment with the administration before entry. Visitors will have their ID checked when entering the building. SafeEd staff will continue to supervise entrances and check-in visitors with an increase at the front door. Lastly, packages will be left in the foyer of the school as opposed to directly coming into the building.

And the teachers? Well, nothing has really changed for them.
“Our role has remained the same,” said English teacher Derek Miller.
Teachers are informed every year of emergency protocols and practice them, while ROHS administration determines whether any changes need to be made.