The Student News Site of Royal Oak High School

Acorn Newsmagazine

Acorn Newsmagazine

Acorn Newsmagazine

A Tee-Riffic Season

Girls Varsity Golf Wins OAA Blue League Title

The girls varsity golf team played at Evergreen Hills on September 29th to bring home a league championship for the first time in 8 years. All 6 girls placed in the top 10 in the tournament, including senior Gillian Iles placing 1st, senior Izzi Parrott placing 5th, senior Hope Malczynski placing 10th, junior Sophie Matthews placing 9th, junior Raquel Kraniak placing 6th, and sophomore Kalli Roelofs placing 4th.

When asked about how much this win meant to her, Senior Captain Gillian Iles stated, “Watching the program grow the past four years and to be able to lead my teammates and a captain has been an honor. I’ve been so blessed to be able to have met such a hard working group of girls to fight for that victory. So proud of my girls and this moment.”

For a team score of 177, the girls beat the second place team by a total of 14 strokes. Yet to lose a league match this season, the girls have proven themselves worthy competitors in the OAA Blue Division. Under the guidance of the new head coach Dr. Tom Harwood, they have continued to write their legacy after being the first girls golf team in Royal Oak High School history to qualify for D1 State Finals during the 2021 season.

Coach Harwood adds, “This achievement will continue to serve as a foundation for building the program and our future of continued success on the golf course.”