The Student News Site of Royal Oak High School

Acorn Newsmagazine

Acorn Newsmagazine

Acorn Newsmagazine

Student Profiles

A look into the lives of students at ROHS

Every student at Royal Oak High School has a specific role in the community. Everyone has their rituals and different sources of motivation to get them through the day. Most students at ROHS would say starting your day right is important, whether it’s with a nice shower or a warm breakfast, we all need a good morning to set the mood.

Freshman Carter Brezenski starts his morning with his favorite class, Algebra 2 with Ms. Richardson. Brezenski says, “She creates a fun and productive class environment for her students.” In the fall he joins in on the football fun by being in the marching band and helping to cheer on the team. As well as being a marching band member, Brezenski is also part of the jazz band. His first year in high school, almost coming to an end, Brezenski is using his involvement in the musical program to inspire others.

Sophomore Luca Massoni moved to Royal Oak last year and has done a good job of adjusting to the different environments.

“It was hard at first, but it’s gotten so much easier as I meet new people,” he says.

Massoni enjoys playing guitar. He also is a part of choir, cross country, and track & field. He says that the sports community helped him gain confidence in his new school as it’s a strong bond between him and his teammates. Taking advantage of his involvement in the community, Massoni is working hard to continue to strive for academic success.

Vivian Harka, a junior, is part of the marching band with Brezenski. She also wants to take on track this year, hoping to be part of another strong and supportive school environment. This year, Harka finds med skills to be her favorite class because of the hands-on environment. She says, “Especially being a student that wants to go into the medical field, it is exciting to learn and get an insight on what my future might look like.”

Harka ends her day by taking a calming shower and doing homework. She finds that positively ending your day with a good routine is important because it “sets the mood for the next day, as it can affect your sleep and mindset.”

Senior Molly McConnell is the founder and president of the philosophy club. They say that, “running the philosophy club is relatively simple. Each meeting is usually different and reflects how I’m feeling that day.” McConnell enjoys the class history of American democracy through film, taught by Mr. Snyder, the class is new but is very enjoyable. On weekends, McConnell likes to watch movies and go thrifting and to record stores. After high school, they plan to attend East Tennessee State University, studying history and anthropology with a minor in museum studies.

Here at Royal Oak, each student must be recognized, regardless of their hobbies and involvement in extracurriculars. The students at ROHS share interests and hobbies but overall everyone is a different person. Everyone has their own stories to share which is what makes each life unique.