The Student News Site of Royal Oak High School

Acorn Newsmagazine

Acorn Newsmagazine

Acorn Newsmagazine

ROHS music programs entertain audiences in winter concerts and events

This winter, the ROHS music department was busy spreading holiday spirit through concerts and shows.
All three music programs featured concert performances in December. The orchestra’s concert took place on December 5th, where they played classic winter songs including “Let it Snow,” “The Nutcracker,” and “Jingle Bell Rock.”
Senior Emily Chafetz enjoyed performing and highlighted her favorite moment of the concert.
“Seniors get to wear Santa hats finally, so after all these years building up to it, it is a cool tradition to be a part of,” she said.
Choir hosted its concert on December 13th, where they performed holiday songs including “Underneath the Tree,” “Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies,” and a mashup of classic Hanukkah songs.
“It was a great concert! My favorite part was when they sang the Olaf song, ‘That Time of Year,’” said audience member Melissa White.
Other winter performances included the Jazz Band’s Jingle Bell Jazz event on December 21st, where the ROHS Jazz Band played jazz music for friends and family in the ROHS band room. Professional musicians were also present, playing for the audience. This jazz showcase helped to raise money for local businesses.
“My highlight was sitting on the ledge in the band rooms and watching the pro bands,” said Jazz Band member Alena Michael, who said performing was rewarding but also challenging.
“Having two solos during Jingle Bell Jazz. That was difficult, having to face a room full of peers and play by myself,” she said.
Choir caroled on December 21st and 22nd, going from class to class singing on the last day of school before winter break. The A Cappella Choir also sang at the Zoo Lights event on December 15th at the Detroit Zoo.
“[Singing at Zoo Lights] is a good chance to build community, not only for other people during the holidays, but also within our own group,” said choir officer Logan Vinluan.

Singer Abigale Bloomfield said her favorite parts of Zoo Lights were “the little girl who was dancing to our songs and gave us donuts,” and “clapping along to ‘Holiday Road.’”
These winter performances for the ROHS community finished the year on a festive note. Concertgoers now look forward to the events that Royal Oak High School’s band, orchestra, and choir will offer in 2024.