The Student News Site of Royal Oak High School

Acorn Newsmagazine

Acorn Newsmagazine

Acorn Newsmagazine

Book Review of Once Upon a Broken Heart

Do you like romance? Maybe you’re a fool for true love. If you’ve ever been interested in mythology or the ideas of Gods, fate and destiny, run to the shelves for Once Upon A Broken Heart by Stephanie Garber. First things first, let’s talk about the romance. The slow burn in this book is like waiting for the perfect cup of tea. It might take until the book’s series finale but it’s 100% worth the wait. Garber weaves a story that’s as enchanting as it is frustrating suspenseful. Just when you think you can’t handle the anticipation anymore, she reels you back in with a swoon worthy moment that’ll have you clutching the book to your heart just to take a moment to process what you’ve read.

Evangeline, the main character, isn’t your typical damsel in distress. Her determination, and quirky personality had me cheering her on from the very first page. And then there’s Jacks, the charming and mysterious Fated trickster who’ll make you question everything you thought you knew about villains. His charisma practically oozes off the pages, and you can’t help but fall under his spell, just like a certain someone. Make one wish with a Fate but make it clear because in this book, words are twisted and lives are flipped upside down. 

But hold on to your hats because the real icing on the cake is the intertwining of Garber’s otherworldly series, Caraval. The way she seamlessly connects the dots between Once Upon a Broken Heart and Caraval is nothing short of genius. If you thought you knew the Caraval universe inside out, think again, because Garber’s masterful storytelling will leave you reeling with excitement and gasping with shocking epiphanies. And guess what? The grand finale of the Once Upon a Broken Heart series is here! It finally was released on October 23, 2023. Garber fans have waited for the third book of the broken heart series for long enough.

A Curse for True Love is the cherry on top of this now complete series. If you’re a fan of magic, romance, and characters that leap off the page, do yourself a favor and dive into this world. Your heart will thank you, and so will your inner child who still searches for magic and holds on to fairy tales.