The Student News Site of Royal Oak High School

Acorn Newsmagazine

Acorn Newsmagazine

Acorn Newsmagazine

Louisiana’s Mike Johnson Elected Speaker of the House

Photo Credit: apnews.com

After 21 days without a Speaker of The House, the House of Representatives has filled the position. On October 26th, 2023, Mike Johnson was elected the 56th Speaker of The House. This change in leadership has come with both support as well as disapproval from the Republican and Democratic parties. Johnson is best known for his congressional efforts to overturn the 2020 election, as well as his stands against abortion and LGBTQ+ rights.

Originally a Republican Representative in Louisiana, Johnson was the fourth nominee for the  position formerly held by Kevin McCarthy, who was ousted in a 216 to 210 vote led by Florida Republican Matt Gaetz. McCarthy told lawmakers that he would not be running for Speaker of the House again, and announced that the position was open. Thus began the tedious process of electing a new Speaker. After three candidates failed to gain the position through multiple votes, Johnson received a unanimous vote from the House, and will now oversee the legislative process within the House of Representatives.

Opinions will likely vary about Johnson’s role as Speaker. The changes he will make as Speaker have yet to be established, and it is still unclear how the nation will be affected. As Johnson stated in his post-election conference at the Capitol, “We are ready to govern, and that will begin right away.”